Blog


Exterior Painters in Milwaukie Oregon


three story exterior painting in milwaukie oregon


This project on Clackamas River Drive was one of Painting Oregon’s largest residential projects of 2015. This kind of large project is one that will separate small painting contractors and large paint contractors. When Brad arrived to estimate the project it was very clear that the owner had a clear vision of paint colors and placements. There was a very tight timeline that the owner had requested because of the home business that operates from the home. This home is a three level very custom home sitting on the Clackamas River on the boarder of Milwaukie and Oregon City.

Before paint and prep in Clackamas, ORClackamas exterior duringAFter painting on clackamas river drive

Prep Work: (seven days)
There was extensive prep needed on the home before we could start masking and painting. The home was well caulked previously, in most places but not finished in others, leaving a hunt and caulk scenario for the painting team. The home was sided 10 years prior with new fiber cement siding and hand painted by the owners. Some areas of the siding had never been painted which had to be primed prior to painting. The decks and deck ceilings all had never been painted but was requested to be painted white. This required oil based stain blocking primer to be applied in multiple coats to block out the stain from the wood. The deck railings and spindles all had peeling paint that required extensive scraping and primer before we could paint them. Woodpeckers had taken advantage of the soft wood used on the corner boards on the third story of the home and had pecked away numerous holes. Painting Oregon gave the owners two options for the corner boards. We could fill the holes with wood filler/hardener or remove the corner boards and replace them. Filling the holes was the lower costing option that the owners opted for.

Painting Work: (eight days)
With over four different paint colors on trims, corner boards, fish scales, siding, eaves, deck ceilings, decorative trims, and spindles there were a lot of details that needed to be very clear each and every day. Using Slack our instant messaging app the crew lead was able to communicate the progress, ask extensive questions about the scope of work, and clarify color scheme questions each day. This project really showed the usefulness of the Slack day after day. Being able to communicate with the crew and get daily updates allowed for the home owners to be in the know each and everyday.

Painting siding near a deck

We used Sherwin-William Duration satin on all surfaces of this home. Given the size and complexity of the color scheme we used the single coat application of Duration to our advantage.

This project took 15 days to complete due to some color changes in the middle of the project as well as working around the homeowners business hours that was operated out of the home. We used over 30 gallons of paint on this project.

The original quote on the project was just over 10k but after a complete color scheme change this projects final cost was just under $15,000.